127 HR Networks and Organizations Call on IPU Participants to Raise HR Issues in Bahrain
2023-03-09 - 7:20 م
Bahrain Mirror: 127 human rights networks and organizations issued a joint statement on the eve of the 146th Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Manama on March 11, 2023, expressing their "grave concern over the continued deterioration of the human rights situation in Bahrain."
The networks and organizations pointed to "a restrictive environment for public freedoms, the ongoing arrests, crimes of torture and the issuance of death sentences, as well as ill-treatment, unfair trials, absence of press freedoms, deterioration of prison conditions, the authorities' dissolution of opposition political societies and the confiscation of political right."
They recalled the continued detention of human rights defenders, including human rights activist Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja, former president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, and political opposition leaders, including Secretary-General of Al-Wefaq Sheikh Ali Salman.
They called on the participants in the meetings to "raise human rights issues in Bahrain, work to stop all forms of repression and political persecution, especially the abolition of the Political Isolation Law, death sentences, the law of revocation of nationality and other grave violations, demand the unconditional release of all prisoners of conscience, reparation and transitional justice, stop unfair trials, affirm the principle of freedom of opinion and expression, restore citizenships to those who have been stripped of their citizenships, and stop targeting opponents, including former MPs."
- 2023-06-06British MP Charged with Racially Aggravated Public Order Offence
- 2023-06-05Sheikh Al-Daihi: No One can Silence Bahraini People's Voice with Imprisonment, Torture and Killing
- 2023-06-05Friday Sermons at Imam Al-Sadiq Mosque Contains "Legal Violations", Justice Ministry Claims
- 2023-06-05Saudi Arabia Executes 3 Youths from Qatif over Fabricated Charges
- 2023-06-04MoI Threatens Al-Markh and Karimi Obsequies of Using Force if They Hold Events Commemorating Imam Khomeini