We Want OHCHR to Play its Real Role in HR Oversight in Bahrain: Baqer Darwish
2022-05-20 - 5:31 م
Bahrain Mirror: Baqer Darwish, president of Bahrain Forum for Human Rights, told prominent Lebanese journalist Pierre Abi Saab during his program on Al-Mayadeen Channel, that "The government has made oral promises regarding the conditions of detainees to the OHCHR, but according to our experience, this is not enough."
"There must be written guarantees on the human rights situation before signing the memorandum of understanding, which some parties were incomprehensibly in a rush to sign," he explained.
Darwish said "Human rights organizations are monitoring the course of the memorandum of understanding, and we want the OHCHR to play its real role in human rights oversight. We don't want the authority to use the UN mechanisms to whitewash violations."
- 2023-04-01Amnesty's 2022 Annual Report: Bahrain Continues to Restrict Freedom of expression, Hold Prisoners and Torture Them
- 2023-04-01Cassation Court Hands Down One Month Jail Term to Citizen over "Insulting Public Employee"
- 2023-04-01Bahrain Buys US Weapons, Military Equipment Worth $350 Million amid High Public Debt, Taxes Hike
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms