US Embassy: We Urge Bahrain to Abide by Its Int'l Commitments to Respect Human Rights
2022-04-15 - 11:00 م
Bahrain Mirror: The US Embassy in Bahrain said that it will continue to urge Bahrain to abide by its international commitments to respect human rights and fundamental freedoms.
"As part of our support for the rule of law, we continue to urge Bahrain to ensure fair and transparent judicial proceedings and abide by its international commitments to respect human rights and fundamental freedoms, including freedom of expression, peaceful assembly and the press," the embassy said via its Twitter account.
It noted that the annual human rights report issued by the US Department of State "shows the Kingdom's efforts to protect and promote human rights, including the region's most expansive alternative sentencing law; nearly 4,000 people have received alternative sentences."
The report criticized the political and human rights situation in Bahrain, the absence of an environment conducive to the holding of elections, criticism of the judiciary in Bahrain, performance of the Ministry of Interior, absence of the implementation of the BICI recommendations, violations practiced against detainees and political prisoners, as well as the continued sectarian discrimination, especially in emplyment.
- 2023-03-28HR Organizations Call for Activating "Magnitsky Act" to Hold Perpetrators of Violations Accountable
- 2023-03-28Sayed Al-Ghuraifi Calls for Purifying Climate, Initiating Serious Dialogues
- 2023-03-28Maryam Al-Khawaja: Bahrain Regime Setting up Circumstances to Cause Death of My Father and Other Prisoners, West Government Should Move before It's Late
- 2023-03-26Sheikh Al-Sadadi Calls to Make Use of Holy Month of Ramadan to Resolve Outstanding Issues, Release Prisoners
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources