Three Rights Groups Hail High Commissioner Statement against Death Penalty in Bahrain
2020-07-21 - 9:53 م
Bahrain Mirror: Three Bahraini human rights organizations expressed appreciation for the statement issued on July 14, 2020, by the High Commissioner for Human Rights on the arbitrary death sentences issued against torture victims, Mohammad Ramadan and Hussain Moosa.
The independent experts had previously, in a statement dated February 12, 2020, called on the government of Bahrain to remember its commitments to prevent all forms of torture and ill-treatment, and urged the authorities to immediately stop any plans aimed at carrying out the death penalty against the two men, completely quash the death sentences against them and ensure that they are tried as per law and international standards.
The three human rights organizations called on the member states of the Human Rights Council to adopt the High Commissioner's demand to urge the Bahraini authorities to immediately stop any decision to execute them, quash their convictions, and ensure that they are tried again in accordance with international human rights norms and standards.
The rights groups that signed the statement are: Bahrain Forum for Human Rights, SALAM for Democracy and Human Rights and the Gulf Institute for Democracy and Human Rights.
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
- 2023-05-30Amnesty: Sultan and Thamer Faced "Grossly Unfair" Trial