Amnesty Int'l Says Denying Imprisoned Bahraini Activist Al-Singace Medical Care ‘Latest Act of Cruelty'
2019-09-12 - 9:33 م
Bahrain Mirror: The Bahraini authorities' inhuman denial of urgent medical treatment for seriously ill Bahraini academic and opposition activist, Dr Abdel-Jalil al-Singace, is a denial of his right to health and an act of intentional cruelty, said Amnesty International today.
"The denial of medical treatment to a seriously ill prisoner is shockingly cruel and puts his life in danger. It can also violate the prohibition of torture and other ill-treatment." said Heba Morayef, Amnesty International's Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
"The authorities must immediately grant Abdel-Jalil al-Singace access to the medical care he so desperately needs and ensure that the necessary medication is available to him."
On 28 August he was taken to the prison doctor who diagnosed serious tension of his heart muscle, causing him severe pain. On 3 September he was due for an appointment with a heart specialist in the Bahrain Defense Force hospital. However, when he refused to put on the prison uniform or wear shackles, the prison's administration informed him that they had ‘changed their mind' and refused to let him attend the appointment.
Abdel-Jalil al-Singace was amongst 13 opposition activists arrested between 17 March and 9 April 2011. The High Criminal Court of Appeal in Manama issued its verdict on 4 September 2012, upholding the 13 defendants' convictions and sentences of between five years and life in prison on unfounded charges including "setting up terror groups to topple the royal regime and change the constitution". The Court of Cassation upheld the sentences on 7 January 2013.
"Abdel-Jalil al-Singace and indeed the other prisoners of conscience, including Abdulhadi al-Khawaja and Hassan Mshaima, who were convicted solely for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression and assembly must be immediately and unconditionally released," said Heba Morayef concluding her statement.
- 2023-03-20Abdulwahab Hussein Calls for Dedicating Day to Prisoners to be Commemorated Annually
- 2023-03-19Bahrain Almost Ignited Crisis with Cyprus by Raising Flag of Cypriot Territory occupied by Turkey in IPU Meetings
- 2023-03-17Sarhan: Families of 138 Detained Children Complains about Delay in Applying Article 87 of Restorative Justice for Children
- 2023-03-17Bahrain Ignores Danish Delegation Request to IPU to Visit Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja
- 2023-03-17Detainee Serving Life Term Sentence Calls on Int’l Monitors to Visit Prisons