Shadow Sports Minister Raises Hakeem Al-Araibi’s Case in British House of Commons
2019-02-07 - 8:59 م
Bahrain Mirror: Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan, who is currently the Shadow Sports Minister, raised the case of Bahraini footballer Hakeem Al-Araibi in the house of common's session on Monday (February 4, 2019).
Khan said that "I would like to put on record my disgust at the situation of Hakeem Al-Araibi, the footballer who fled Bahrain and appeared in court today in Thailand, facing forced extradition."
Rosena continued "We, on this side of the house, strongly urge the Government to lean on Thailand and Bahrain with maximum force to drop those charges."
"The UK has a proud history of assisting those fleeing political persecution and we should not stay silent regarding this matter.
"The case of Hakeem Al-Araibi has shocked the football family, which is why I raised it in Parliament. Our Government must lean on Thailand and Bahrain with maximum force in order to secure his release," she added.
Rosena had also been written to Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt about this case and asked him to act in aiding the footballer escape torture.
The MP said "It is deeply worrying that political refugee and footballer Hakeem Al-Araibi could be sent back to Bahrain, a country he fled from to escape torture."
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources
- 2023-03-24On Int'l Day for the Right to the Truth, Salam Demands Revealing Violations
- 2023-03-24US State Department on HR Conditions in Bahrain: Ongoing Torture, Discrimination against Shiites
- 2023-03-23More than 30 Lawyers File Complaints to Prosecute Citizen under Pretext of "offending them"
- 2023-03-23NPRA Employee Sentenced to One Year in Jail for Disclosing Secrets and Photos of People