Reuters: Bahraini Refugee Footballer could be Jailed in Thailand until August
2019-02-06 - 8:32 م
Bahrain Mirror- Reuters: A refugee Bahraini footballer who was arrested in Thailand while on vacation from his new home in Australia could remain in jail until August while a court decides on an extradition request from Bahrain, a Thai official said on Wednesday.
Hakeem Al Araibi, who fled criminal charges related to the 2011 Arab Spring protests against Bahrain's government, is fighting the extradition, saying he faces torture if returned.
The Thai court hearing the case will need two to three months to give its ruling after the next hearing in late April, said a spokesman for the attorney general's office.
"So between now and then, Hakeem will have to be in custody for at least until August," Trumph Jalichandra said.
Australia has appealed to Thailand to release Araibi immediately.
- 2023-04-01Amnesty's 2022 Annual Report: Bahrain Continues to Restrict Freedom of expression, Hold Prisoners and Torture Them
- 2023-04-01Cassation Court Hands Down One Month Jail Term to Citizen over "Insulting Public Employee"
- 2023-04-01Bahrain Buys US Weapons, Military Equipment Worth $350 Million amid High Public Debt, Taxes Hike
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms