AFP: Bahraini Detainee Hajar Mansour Admitted to Hospital after Launching Hunger Strike
2018-03-23 - 7:03 م
Bahrain Mirror: Bahraini detainee Hajer Mansoor, 49, was admitted to hospital Thursday, her family said, three days after launching her second hunger strike behind bars to protest the treatment of prisoners, AFP reported.
Human rights activist, Ibtisam Al-Saegh, also tweeted the news of Mansoor's hospitalization.
Hajer Mansoor Hassan and her 18-year-old son were sentenced to three years in jail in October, in a trial decried by rights groups as an act of political reprisal against Bahraini activists.
She was hospitalized with hypoglycemia, three days after starting a hunger strike to protest the treatment of inmates at the notorious Isa Town Prison, her son-in-law Sayed Alwadaei said.
Bahrain's justice ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Hajar had been sentenced along with her son for planting a "fake bomb" in the A'ali district south of Manama. Their case came under international scrutiny over both the validity of the charges and trial standards.
In a report published in March 2017, a group of U.N. special rapporteurs also said there was evidence that Bahraini interrogators had told Mansoor's son they would "take revenge on him" because of Al-Wadaei's work.
In April, parliament gave approval for military courts to try civilians charged with "terrorism," a vaguely defined legal term in the Sunni-ruled kingdom.
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر بالضرورة عن رأي الموقع
comments powered by Disqus