BCHR: Nabeel Rajab Faces Worsening Mistreatment, Denied Access to Lawyers and Family
2017-06-24 - 6:51 م
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): The Bahrain Center for Human Rights stated on its website that its president, Nabeel Rajab, whose health is deteriorating, was prevented from having immediate access to his family and lawyers. His family reported that they had not been able to have contact with him since last week.
BCHR said that it is highly concerned over its President's mental and physical health as Rajab has been held in pretrial detention for over a year now, which has taken a grave toll on his health. BCHR reiterated its call on the Bahraini authorities to release him on humanitarian grounds.
The center noted that on 14 June, his lawyers walked out of the trial in protest of Rajab's absence in court. The trials have been postponed to 2 July and to 7 August.
Members of the European Parliament, human rights groups and media have expressed public outcries at his incarceration, and the UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression, David Kaye, called for his release from prison at the 35th UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
- 2023-04-01Amnesty's 2022 Annual Report: Bahrain Continues to Restrict Freedom of expression, Hold Prisoners and Torture Them
- 2023-04-01Cassation Court Hands Down One Month Jail Term to Citizen over "Insulting Public Employee"
- 2023-04-01Bahrain Buys US Weapons, Military Equipment Worth $350 Million amid High Public Debt, Taxes Hike
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms
التعليقات المنشورة لا تعبر بالضرورة عن رأي الموقع
comments powered by Disqus