Bahrainis Criticize Sale of Island to Israel
2023-02-16 - 7:35 p
Bahrain Mirror: Bahrainis criticized on social media outlets the sale of an island to the Zionist entity, describing the act as the latest normalization step.
Human rights activist Maryam Al-Khawaja was among those Bahrainis who spoke out against the development. She said "Reports emerging (posted by Israeli news then deleted) that Israel has bought an island in Bahrain - best described as colonial expansion - from a foreign ruling family that occupied Bahrain violently and has been ruling it violently since."
Bahraini political activist Ebrahim Sharif questioned whether "the process of Judaizing and Zionizing" the tiny Gulf state has already begun.
"Has the process of Judaization and Zionism of Manama started?" he tweeted.
Jawad Fairooz, a former Bahraini lawmaker and the head of SALAM for Democracy and Human Rights (SALAM DHR), meanwhile described the purchase as "a very dangerous and worrying signal."
The Israeli media revealed that the Jewish National Fund bought an island in the western waterfront of Bahrain for about 9 million dinars after it offered the island among a group of 100 properties for sale at auction.
- 2023-06-08Bahrain Stripped of FEI Endurance World Championship Title After Tribunal Decision
- 2023-06-06British MP Charged with Racially Aggravated Public Order Offence
- 2023-06-05Sheikh Al-Daihi: No One can Silence Bahraini People's Voice with Imprisonment, Torture and Killing
- 2023-06-05Friday Sermons at Imam Al-Sadiq Mosque Contains "Legal Violations", Justice Ministry Claims
- 2023-06-05Saudi Arabia Executes 3 Youths from Qatif over Fabricated Charges