Bahrain's King Orders Cabinet Reshuffle, Names New Oil Minister: State Media
2022-06-15 - 11:00 am
Bahrain Mirror- Reuters: Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa ordered a cabinet reshuffle on Monday that included appointing a new oil minister, state media reported.
Mohammed bin Mubarak Bin Dainah, who was the country's envoy for climate affairs, was named minister of oil and environment, replacing Oil Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Khalifa.
The reshuffle included appointing Sheikh Khalid bin Abdulla Al Khalifa as deputy prime minister and minister of infrastructure, Zayed bin Rashid Al Zayani as industry and commerce minister and Fatima bint Jaafer al Sairafi as tourism minister.
Crown Prince and Prime Minister Salman bin Hamad al-Khalifa said the reshuffle "will bring new ideas and a renewed drive to continue advancing the public sector," the state news agency (BNA) quoted him as saying on Monday.
"The reshuffle, the largest in the country's history, has resulted in a change of 17 out of 22 ministers, with the introduction of a large proportion of young ministers, including four females", a government spokesperson said.
Bahrain, a small non-OPEC oil producer, is one of the region's most indebted countries, with its bonds rated "junk". Gulf allies helped it avert a credit crunch in 2018 with a $10 billion aid package. Ratings agencies Fitch and Moody's have said Bahrain would likely need more financing from Gulf neighbors.
- 2023-04-01Amnesty's 2022 Annual Report: Bahrain Continues to Restrict Freedom of expression, Hold Prisoners and Torture Them
- 2023-04-01Cassation Court Hands Down One Month Jail Term to Citizen over "Insulting Public Employee"
- 2023-04-01Bahrain Buys US Weapons, Military Equipment Worth $350 Million amid High Public Debt, Taxes Hike
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms