Large US-Led Maritime Drill Kicks off in Bahrain
2022-02-02 - 9:53 p
Bahrain Mirror: A large maritime exercise kicked off in Bahrain on Tuesday under the US Navy command, with the participation of 60 countries, including Israel, Anadolu News Agency reports.
"The Middle East region's largest maritime exercise, IMX/CE 2022, commenced 31 January, in the Kingdom of Bahrain," the US Central Command said on Twitter.
"The training will include 9,000 personnel and up to 50 ships from more than 60 partner nations and international organizations operating across two regions," it added.
The US-led maritime exercise will last till 17 February.
"The joint exercise aims to increase the capabilities and strengthen the relations of the participating countries' naval forces to benefit international order and peace," Commander of the US Fifth Fleet, Charles Cooper, said in statements cited by the Bahraini state news agency, BNA.
Israel confirmed its participation in the maritime exercise in Bahrain.
"For the first time, our Flotilla 3 and Underwater Warfare Unit will train with the US Fifth Fleet in the Red Sea. We look forward to strengthening security and global cooperation," the Israeli army said in a statement.
Bahrain has long been home to the US Fifth Fleet, whose area of operations includes the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea and parts of the Indian Ocean.
- 2023-03-28HR Organizations Call for Activating "Magnitsky Act" to Hold Perpetrators of Violations Accountable
- 2023-03-28Sayed Al-Ghuraifi Calls for Purifying Climate, Initiating Serious Dialogues
- 2023-03-28Maryam Al-Khawaja: Bahrain Regime Setting up Circumstances to Cause Death of My Father and Other Prisoners, West Government Should Move before It's Late
- 2023-03-26Sheikh Al-Sadadi Calls to Make Use of Holy Month of Ramadan to Resolve Outstanding Issues, Release Prisoners
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources