Tenth of Muharram: Vast Commemoration of Ashura Rituals despite Security Measures, King Thanks Interior Ministry
2021-08-21 - 9:26 p
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): The Bahraini authorities turned the 10th day of Muharram into a maneuver, deploying exaggerated numbers of troops and vehicles everywhere in Bahrain.
The Ministry of the Interior deployed hundreds of its personnel and vehicles in large areas of the country, with the aim to intimidate citizens who perform Husseini rituals every year.
Patrols, buses and police vehicles were seen around Nuwaidrat and Sitra, east of Manama, and in various areas along Al-Budai street.
The surrounding areas of Sanabis were transformed into a military barracks, where large numbers of troops and vehicles were stationed in the squares. Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry did not explain the reasons for the heavy deployment.
In the same context, the Interior Ministry flew helicopters and small drones above the mourning processions.
Despite the heavy deployment, the 10th of Muharram ceremony was widely attended by citizens in the capital Manama, where the streets were filled with mourners.
Several areas in east, west and south of Manama, as well as Muharraq, witnessed mourning processions and large Husseini majales (mourning gatherings).
Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa praised "the efforts of all relevant institutions and agencies, led by the Ministry of Interior."
The Interior Ministry had launched a large-scale campaign to take down Ashura manifestations from the streets, while measures had been taken to restrict the commemoration of Husseini rituals under the pretext of combating the Coronavirus pandemic.
These included the summoning of Ma'tams administrators, preachers and mourners, the arrest of some and their release on substantial bails.
- 2023-03-30Bahrain Silent at End of Normalization: When Will Manama Get Rid of the Marshal’s Chaotic Approach?
- 2023-03-30Party Worth Millions to Celebrate Nasser’s Victory in World Endurance Championship
- 2023-03-28How the Jaffaria Endowments Changed from an Independent to Dependent Directorate
- 2023-03-27Where's Sheikh Ahmed bin Atiyatullah Al Khalifa, Royal Court Minister of Follow-Up?
- 2023-03-15Pacheco Failed the Test of Upholding Fundamental Values