Human Rights Call to Intensify Demand for Release of Political Prisoner Zakia Al-Barboury
2021-04-15 - 3:18 p
Bahrain Mirror: Human rights activist Ibtisam Al-Sayegh called for intensifying efforts and action for the release of political prisoner, Zakia Al-Barboury, who has served more than half of her five-year sentence.
Al-Sayegh made the call during her visit to Al-Barboury's family, who is now considered the only woman imprisoned in Bahrain for political reasons.
A number of the residents of Nuwaidrat held a sit-in near the Al-Barboury family's house, demanding the immediate release of Zakia and the remaining prisoners of conscience.
Al-Barboury, a chemical engineer and social activist, is serving a 5-year prison sentence over politically-motivated charges. Al-Barboury was arrested from her home at dawn in June 2018, and she was a victim of enforced disappearance for more than two weeks, during which she was subjected to solitary confinement, ill-treatment, and threats to force her into confessing under coercion. She was threatened with the arrest of her family members if she did not sign the confessions. The authorities revoked Al-Barboury's nationality in 2019, but her nationality was later restored while she remains to be imprisoned.
- 2023-03-24Gov't to Refer General Budget to House of Representatives on Monday: Sources
- 2023-03-24On Int'l Day for the Right to the Truth, Salam Demands Revealing Violations
- 2023-03-24US State Department on HR Conditions in Bahrain: Ongoing Torture, Discrimination against Shiites
- 2023-03-23More than 30 Lawyers File Complaints to Prosecute Citizen under Pretext of "offending them"
- 2023-03-23NPRA Employee Sentenced to One Year in Jail for Disclosing Secrets and Photos of People