Cassation Court Upholds One-Year Jail Term against Sheikh Abdulmohsen Al-Jamri over Religious Lecture
2020-08-26 - 5:50 am
Bahrain Mirror: The Cassation Court upheld on Monday (August 24, 2020) upheld a one-year jail term against Shiite cleric Sheikh Abdulmohsen Mulla Atiya Al-Jamri over a religious lecture he delivered on the onset of 2020.
The authorities accused Al-Jamri of insulting Muawiyah Bin Abi Sufyan because he said "history books are full of figures that have no value to humanity and morals like Muawiyah and Banu Umayya".
Authorities pursue Shiite clerics for their religious lectures, accuse them of insulting figures glorified by another sect for speaking about Yazid ibn Muawiyah, the murderer of Imam Hussein, or for talking about other historical figures, in an attempt to religiously restrict the Shiite majority.
- 2021-08-04Appeals Court Upholds 2-Year Jail Verdict against Mohammad Al-Zayani
- 2021-04-17Only 3-Year Prison Term Handed Down to Three Bahrainis who Joined ISIS
- 2021-04-16Bahraini Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison, Charged with Throwing Molotov Cocktail at Police Car
- 2021-04-09Bahrain Court Fines 5 Members of Prisoners' Families 1,000 BD Each for Violating Ban on Gatherings
- 2020-11-19Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari Receives 6-Month Jail Term over Religious Lecture