Prominent Lawyer Abdullah Al-Shemlawi Sentenced to 8 Months in Jail over two Tweets, Bail to Stop Execution of Sentence
2020-07-01 - 5:37 am
Bahrain Mirror: A Bahraini court issued on Tuesday (June 30, 2020) 8-month jail term against prominent lawyer Abdullah Al-Shemlawi over two tweets he posted on his own Twitter account.
Al-Shemlawi said that the court set 100 BD as bail for each case to stop the execution.
A court had sentenced Al-Shemlawi to 6 months in jail over a tweet in which he criticized fasting in Ashura as a sign of joy for the death of Imam Al-Hussein bin Ali, and 2 months in jail over another tweet in which he criticized distributing housing units to newly-naturalized Asians.
- 2021-08-04Appeals Court Upholds 2-Year Jail Verdict against Mohammad Al-Zayani
- 2021-04-17Only 3-Year Prison Term Handed Down to Three Bahrainis who Joined ISIS
- 2021-04-16Bahraini Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison, Charged with Throwing Molotov Cocktail at Police Car
- 2021-04-09Bahrain Court Fines 5 Members of Prisoners' Families 1,000 BD Each for Violating Ban on Gatherings
- 2020-11-19Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari Receives 6-Month Jail Term over Religious Lecture