NGOs Congratulate Nabeel Rajab on his Release, Confirm his Right to Obtain Unconditional Freedom
2020-06-10 - 1:40 am
Bahrain Mirror: Three Bahraini human rights organizations congratulated the president of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights and Deputy Secretary-General of the International Federation of Human Rights, Nabeel Rajab, for his release after 5 years of arrest over a tweet in which he criticized war on Yemen and charges related to freedom of expression.
The Bahrain Forum for Human Rights, Salam for Democracy and Human Rights and Gulf Institute for Democracy and Human Rights said "Nabeel, the prominent human rights defender is well-known for his international human rights activism and his strict commitment to international human rights standards and laws. He was targeted by the Bahraini government due to his activism and advocacy for human rights in Bahrain in particular, and for all victims of human rights violations in general."
The three human rights organizations affirmed the right of all prisoners of conscience to obtain complete and unconditional freedom, to drop arbitrary judicial rulings against them and their right to redress and remedy, noting that the application of alternative penalties against them is a double injustice, an alternative restriction and a step in the wrong direction to respect human rights.
They also called on international human rights organizations to pressure the Bahraini authorities to release immediately all prisoners of conscience, to stop human rights violations and impunity policies, and to implement the recommendations of the Independent Commission of Inquiry and the Universal Periodic Review within the mechanisms of the United Nations, which requires a fundamental and comprehensive human rights reform.
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
- 2023-05-30Amnesty: Sultan and Thamer Faced "Grossly Unfair" Trial
- 2023-05-30Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim Offers Condolences to Parents of Executed Martyrs
- 2023-05-30On Way to Jaw Prison: Conversation with Martyr Ahmad Asfour Narrated by Sheikh Ali Salman's Wife
- 2023-05-29Al-Wefaq: Saudi Regime's Execution of Two Bahraini Youths is Sin