HR Org. Call for Vigil for Nabeel Rajab Today in front of Bahraini Embassy in London
2019-09-16 - 6:32 p
Bahrain Mirror: Human rights organizations called for a vigil in front of the Bahrain Embassy in London for human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, asking for his sentence to be immediately suspended.
The call of Join Index on Censorship, English PEN and Reporters Without Borders comes one day before the appeals court session tomorrow (Tuesday, September 17, 2019) a request submitted by Nabeel Rajab's lawyer to replace his imprisonment sentence.
The organizations indicated in their statement that Nabeel Rajab has been arbitrarily detained since June 2016 for expressing his opinions. His case has been raised repeatedly by the international community.
In 2018, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention called for Rajab's release and said the convictions were unlawful and violated his freedom of expression.
- 2023-04-01Amnesty's 2022 Annual Report: Bahrain Continues to Restrict Freedom of expression, Hold Prisoners and Torture Them
- 2023-04-01Cassation Court Hands Down One Month Jail Term to Citizen over "Insulting Public Employee"
- 2023-04-01Bahrain Buys US Weapons, Military Equipment Worth $350 Million amid High Public Debt, Taxes Hike
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms