Mohammed Al-Maskati Declared "Hero" for Defending HR through Digital Security Training: Access Now
2019-06-11 - 4:07 p
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): Access Now announced its selection of Bahraini activist and digital security consultant Mohammed Al-Maskati as a recipient of this year's Human Rights Heroes Award.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet will present the award to Al-Maskati, as well as this year's four other winners, at RightsCon Tunis (June 11-14, 2019).
"Al-Maskati is recognized for his outstanding efforts to defend human rights by providing digital security training to human rights defenders and vulnerable groups throughout the Middle East and North Africa," the organization said.
Those who have worked with Al-Maskati credit him for not only keeping their information secure, but in several cases actually saving lives through his interventions. Al-Maskati's work has resulted in the development of products and instruction manuals in Arabic, an issue too often ignored by software and app developers.
Having access to Arabic-language training material allows human rights activists in one of the world's most oppressive regions to be able to avoid government surveillance and retaliation.
In 2018, Al-Maskati launched digital-protection.tech, a website to "provide advice on protecting individuals and organizations in the digital world and the Internet." He is also the founder of a rapid response team available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to help resolve digital attacks as they happen in real time.
Previous heroes recognized by Access Now include UN High Commissioner Navi Pillay, President of Brazil Dilma Rousseff, Professor Kyung-Sin Park, and Supreme Court of Justice of India Rohinton Nariman.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour