UK Parliamentarians Demand Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt to Urgently Interfere to Help Haji and Fateel
2019-01-21 - 9:55 p
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): The British Morning Star newspaper stated that tWO British parliamentarians have written to Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt demanding his "urgent intervention" to help political prisoners on hunger strike in Bahrain.
Labour MP and Corbyn ally Lloyd Russell-Moyle and Lib Dem peer Lord Scriven are raising the case of Ali AlHajee and Naji Fateel who have been on hunger strike for over 60 days.
The British parliamentarians described conditions at Jaw as "inhumane" and said in their letter: "Mr. Al-Haji and Mr. Fateel are constantly being denied basic entitlements while in detention in Jaw prison.
"While Mr. Al-Haji needs surgery to his lower jaw and requires urgent dental implants, Mr. Fateel needs surgery to extract iron splints from his leg."
They warned that another 20 inmates have since gone on hunger strike at the jail, and said Mr. Fateel is threatening to dramatically escalate his hunger strike tomorrow and begin refusing fluids.
The newspaper indicated that the prisoners' complaints are particularly embarrassing for the British government which has spent millions of pounds training Bahrain's jailers, including on their healthcare policies.
"It is highly concerning that Mr. Al-Haji and Mr. Fateel are putting their lives at risk to get their basic entitlements," the politicians warned Jeremy Hunt.
Ali Al-Hajee and Naji Fateel have been on hunger strike for over 60 days due to depriving them from their basic rights in Jaw Central Prison in Bahrain.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour