PM May Says UK has Raised Case of Jailed Academic with UAE
2018-10-17 - 11:07 p
Bahrain Mirror- Reuters: Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has raised the case of a British academic who has been charged with spying in the United Arab Emirates with the authorities there, Prime Minister Theresa May said on Wednesday.
The UAE said on Monday that Matthew Hedges, a 31-year-old doctoral student at Durham University, had been charged with spying, five months after he was arrested at the end of a study trip.
"Foreign Office officials are supporting Mr Hedges and his family and have raised the case with the Emiratis at the highest levels," May told parliament. "... the Foreign Secretary has personally raised his case with his Emirati counterparts."
- 2022-07-07Israel Reaches Record Trade Increase With Arab States Under Abraham Accords
- 2022-06-10Israeli PM Bennett Visits Abu Dhabi, Meets with UAE President
- 2022-06-10Israelis to be Allowed into Qatar for World Cup, Officials Say
- 2022-06-06Biden should not Visit Saudi, Meet Crown Prince: US Lawmaker Adam Schiff
- 2022-06-01Israel Signs UAE Free Trade Deal, Its First in Arab World