Darwish: We Welcome Criticism of High Commissioner for Human Rights on Decisions to Revoke Nationalities
2018-09-12 - 7:46 p
Bahrain Mirror: President of Bahrain Forum for Human Rights (BFHR) Baqer Darwish welcomed the criticism of new United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet regarding the striping of nationality in Bahrain during the opening of the 39th session of Human Rights Council in UN.
President of BFHR wrote on his Twitter account "Criticism of the Manama authorities' decision to strip citizenship, by the High Commissioner, means that the conviction--which began with Navi Pillay, then Prince Zeid Ra'ad, and then Michelle Bachelet--remains the same for United Nations officials about the Bahraini judiciary that it is issuing verdicts on political persecution."
He added "the high commissioner started with a very positive attitude".
In her first speech, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet criticized Bahrain's ongoing stripping of nationalities and stressed that legislation underpinning such actions should be reviewed in line with Bahrain's obligations under international laws.
- 2023-03-20Abdulwahab Hussein Calls for Dedicating Day to Prisoners to be Commemorated Annually
- 2023-03-19Bahrain Almost Ignited Crisis with Cyprus by Raising Flag of Cypriot Territory occupied by Turkey in IPU Meetings
- 2023-03-17Sarhan: Families of 138 Detained Children Complains about Delay in Applying Article 87 of Restorative Justice for Children
- 2023-03-17Bahrain Ignores Danish Delegation Request to IPU to Visit Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja
- 2023-03-17Detainee Serving Life Term Sentence Calls on Int’l Monitors to Visit Prisons