British Organization Calls for Putting More Pressure on Bahrain to Prevent Execution of 21 People
2018-09-08 - 2:15 am
Bahrain Mirror: Britain's Reprieve called for signing a petition to prevent Bahrain from carrying out the death penalty on 21 people on death row, many of them political prisoners.
Reprieve noted that 24,500 human rights advocates have joined their call, urging support to reach 50,000 signatures.
The rights organization said that one of those facing imminent execution is Mohamed Ramadhan, a father of three, who was blindfolded, stripped and beaten with iron rods by the Bahraini police. His false confession was used to secure his death sentence.
It further stressed that international pressure is building, but the danger of imminent executions is real.
"Last year, three torture victims with links to opposition protests were secretly executed by Bahrain's firing squad without any warning. We know that we don't have a moment to lose," it added.
The organization had previously said it would hand over a petition to Bahrain's embassy in London on Sunday, May 12, 2018, with the arrival of the King of Bahrain to London for the Windsor Horse Show, demanding that he stop the execution of political detainee Maher Al-Khabbaz, noting that his execution is imminent, only awaiting the King's signature.
Under the slogan "Don't execute victims of torture," the organization called on the King of Bahrain and the Bahraini government to stop all executions in cases involving allegations of torture.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
comments powered by Disqus