Appeals Court Rejects Applying “Alternative Punishment Law”, Upholds 3-Year Jail Term against 3 suspects and 2-Year Jail Term against 2 Others over Planting Fake Bomb
2018-06-06 - 7:51 p
Bahrain Mirror: The Fifth High Criminal Appeals Court upheld 3-year jail term against 3 defendants and 2-year jail term against two others in a case of putting fake bomb, and ordered the confiscation of seized items.
The court said in its ruling that the third convict appealed the verdict through cassation court and the court ordered referring it back to the court that issued the sentence in order to reconsider the verdict issued against the appellant and other defendants in light of the Alternative Punishment Law that was not available to the judge when issuing the sentence, since it's deemed the best law for the defendants.
The court said that it was reassured that the 5 appellants put, along with other unknowns, on August 20, 2015, fake bombs and explosives on public street and deliberately set, along with other unknowns, fire to movables, for a terrorist aim. The court accused the suspects of taking part, along with other unknowns, in an assembly of more than 5 persons, aiming at committing crimes, disrupting public peace, noting that they used violence to achieve the aim they gathered for, and acquiring, along with other unknowns, Molotov, aiming at using them to put people's lives and money to danger.
Since 2012, riot cases that go under the demonstrations and riot section of the penal code were adapted to apply to the terrorism law, if there were "terrorist" purposes behind them, such as attempted murder of a police officer, violating the provisions of law and endangering the lives of people and their properties, within the regime's framework of harshening penalties against protesters and activists.
- 2021-08-04Appeals Court Upholds 2-Year Jail Verdict against Mohammad Al-Zayani
- 2021-04-17Only 3-Year Prison Term Handed Down to Three Bahrainis who Joined ISIS
- 2021-04-16Bahraini Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison, Charged with Throwing Molotov Cocktail at Police Car
- 2021-04-09Bahrain Court Fines 5 Members of Prisoners' Families 1,000 BD Each for Violating Ban on Gatherings
- 2020-11-19Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari Receives 6-Month Jail Term over Religious Lecture