Appeals: 3-Year Jail Term Handed down to 3 Suspects Accused of Burning Car of Candidate for Municipal Elections in 2014
2018-02-26 - 10:53 p
Bahrain Mirror: The Fifth High Criminal Appeals Court upheld sentencing 2 appellants to 3 years in prison and third appellant to 3 years and bound them, along with 7 convicts, to pay 4530 BD to the victims whose cars were set to fire, after one of them ran for municipal elections in 2014, after the cassation court overturned the appealed sentence.
The first-instance court had already sentenced 9 suspects, whose ages range between 18 and 26, accused of setting fire to two vehicles owned by municipal candidate and his neighbor, to 10 years in prison and sentenced another suspect (16 years) to 3 years in prison due to his age. The court also bound all the suspects to pay the said amount and ordered the confiscation of seized items.
Five suspects appealed the verdict. The appeals court commuted the sentence of 4 suspects to 3 years and upheld the verdict issued against the suspect who is sentenced to 3 years in prison.
The 3 appellants appealed the verdict through the cassation court that accepted the appeals in from, but rejected it in substance. It also ordered returning the case to the court that issued the verdict.
After reconsidering the case, the High Appeals Criminal Court accepted the appeal in form and modified the sentence, making it 3-year jail term against each of the appellants, over the charges brought against them and ordered the confiscation of seized items.
- 2021-08-04Appeals Court Upholds 2-Year Jail Verdict against Mohammad Al-Zayani
- 2021-04-17Only 3-Year Prison Term Handed Down to Three Bahrainis who Joined ISIS
- 2021-04-16Bahraini Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison, Charged with Throwing Molotov Cocktail at Police Car
- 2021-04-09Bahrain Court Fines 5 Members of Prisoners' Families 1,000 BD Each for Violating Ban on Gatherings
- 2020-11-19Sheikh Ibrahim Al-Ansari Receives 6-Month Jail Term over Religious Lecture
comments powered by Disqus