Bahrain Press Association Says Decision to Suspend Al-Wasat Newspaper “Planned”
2017-06-05 - 6:21 am
Bahrain Mirror: Bahrain Press Association (BPA) condemned the decision issued today by the Bahraini Information Affairs Authority that suspended Al-Wasat newspaper until further notice.
The authorities justified its decision to suspend Al-Wasat saying that it violated the law and re-disseminated what would stir divisionism within the community and undermine the Kingdom of Bahrain's relations with other countries for publishing in its edition of June 4 an article on page 19 that included a defamation of one of the sisterly Arab countries.
BPA said that "the 5384 edition of Al-Wasat included an article to the journalist Kassim Hussein entitled "Protests in the Moroccan Al-Hoceima Relaunched", adding that "the article did not contain any irregularities that contradicts with the values of journalism or professional writings."
The association considered the decision of Information Affairs Authority a "planned and retaliatory targeting," adding that "it is a continuation to the restriction polices and eradication of freedoms of opinion and expression". It stressed that this move is a direct violation of the provisions of the Constitution and international laws and treaties that Bahrain has already signed and pledged to abide by.
It noted that this decision reinforces fears that Bahrain is accelerating its pace towards more regressions in press freedoms.
Bahrain Press Association demanded the Bahraini authorities to reverse this arbitrary decision and stop targeting newspapers and journalists.
- 2023-06-02Ayatollah Qassim on Martyrs Sultan and Thamer: There are Great Heroes among Bahrain's People, Only Known after Martyrdom
- 2023-06-02Families of Martyrs Sultan and Thamer Demand Help of Bahraini Gov't to Return their Bodies from Saudi Arabia for Burial
- 2023-06-02Abdulwahab Hussein on Execution of Sultan and Thamer: We'll Neither Give Up Nor Retreat
- 2023-06-01Protests in Manama after Execution of Bahrainis Sadiq Thamer and Jaafar Sultan at Hands of Saudi Authorities
- 2023-05-30Authorities Summon Head of Sanabis Ma'atam for Interrogation over Enthusiastic Reception of Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
comments powered by Disqus