UN Human Rights High Commissioner Calls for Investigation of Protestor Deaths in Bahrain
2017-06-02 - 10:53 p
Bahrain Mirror: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein on Friday called on the Government of Bahrain to promptly launch an independent, effective investigation into the deaths of five protesters during a security operation last week, the United National Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner reported on its website.
"I urge the Government to investigate the events of 23 May, in particular the loss of lives, to ensure that the findings are made public and that those responsible are held accountable," High Commissioner Zeid said, as he also called on all sides to refrain from violence.
Reports that those who died were buried without the consent of their families were also disturbing, the High Commissioner said, adding that loved ones must be allowed to perform funerals in line with their customs and traditions.
The High Commissioner also called on the authorities to release any individuals being detained for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression and assembly. Those suspected of crimes should be treated with full respect for their rights, including to due process.
Zeid expressed particular concern that the violence and arrests occurred as part of a wider crackdown on dissent in the country.
"Human rights defenders working in Bahrain reportedly continue to face restrictions, intimidation, interrogations, detentions and travel bans," Zeid said. "I urge Bahrain to choose a different path - one of engagement and dialogue, as well as accountability for violence, regardless of the perpetrator. My Office stands ready to offer technical assistance and advice on the promotion and protection of human rights in Bahrain," he went on to say.
comments powered by Disqus