Dr. Taha Dirazi Arrested after his 3-Month Jail Term Upheld
2017-05-24 - 9:46 p
Bahrain Mirror: Activists on social media outlets said that the security authorities arrested on Wednesday (May 24, 2017) neurosurgeon Dr. Taha Al-Dirazi from the court after his 3-month jail term was upheld over the charge of taking part in Diraz protest.
Activists stressed that Al-Dirazi was arrested after the sentence was issued and he was directly transferred to Jaw prison to serve his sentence.
Al-Dirazi was referred to trial last year over the charge of taking part in Diraz protest that was staged since June 20, 2016 against the decision that revoked Sheikh Isa Qassim's citizenship.
The First-Instance court sentenced Al-Dirazi to 3 months in prison. However, he appealed the sentence that was upheld. Al-Dirazi's lawyer objected the sentence, yet, his objection was rejected in today's session.
Yesterday, security forces affiliated to the ministry of interior dispersed Diraz protest and raided Sheikh Qassim's house. The ministry said in a statement that it arrested 286 individuals, adding that 5 others were killed.
The United Nations called on the Bahraini authorities to investigate the killing incident of a protestor in Diraz. Meanwhile, the United States only expressed concerns and called for restraint.
- 2023-03-20Abdulwahab Hussein Calls for Dedicating Day to Prisoners to be Commemorated Annually
- 2023-03-19Bahrain Almost Ignited Crisis with Cyprus by Raising Flag of Cypriot Territory occupied by Turkey in IPU Meetings
- 2023-03-17Sarhan: Families of 138 Detained Children Complains about Delay in Applying Article 87 of Restorative Justice for Children
- 2023-03-17Bahrain Ignores Danish Delegation Request to IPU to Visit Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja
- 2023-03-17Detainee Serving Life Term Sentence Calls on Int’l Monitors to Visit Prisons
comments powered by Disqus