Video: UN Urges Bahrain to Investigate Killing Incident of Protestor in Diraz
2017-05-24 - 8:34 p
Bahrain Mirror- Exclusive: The United Nations expressed concerns about reports from Bahrain stating that a protestor was killed at the hands of the security forces in the village of Diraz that has been witnessing an open-ended sit-in since June 2016, calling on the authorities to investigate the killing incident.
In a press conference held in the UN building in New York on Tuesday (May 23, 2017), Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, said that the UN "noted with concern that a protester at a sit‑in in Diraz in Bahrain was reportedly killed by security forces."
He added "We urge the [Bahraini] authorities to investigate the killing and ensure that any use of force by security forces adheres to the relevant international standards."
"Supporters of Sheikh Qassim demonstrating near his house and security forces should exercise restraint," Dujarric went on to say, stressing that UN "always stands for the right for people to demonstrate peacefully."
The Bahraini security authorities stormed Diraz and raided the house of Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim on Tuesday (May 23, 2017), leaving one martyr and hundreds of injured people, according to human rights resources.
However, the Ministry of Interior published a statement yesterday night saying that 5 protestors were killed and 286 were arrested during the security operation.
- 2018-03-02Ali Al-Aswad from Geneva: Bahraini Authorities Failed to Convince Int’l Community the Opposition is “Terrorist”
- 2018-03-02VIDEO: Sayed Ghoraifi Takes Part in Freedom Martyrs’ Funeral in Karbabad
- 2018-02-23VIDEO: Washington Calls for Nabeel Rajab’s Immediate Release
- 2018-02-21US Department of State: We Will Continue to Have Conversations with Bahraini Government about Nabeel Rajab Case
- 2018-02-20Adam Nabeel Rajab: My Father Spent 4 out of 7 Uprising Years in Prison
comments powered by Disqus