Calls for Mass Protests on the Eve of Sheikh Isa Qassim's Verdict
2017-05-06 - 8:27 p
Bahrain Mirror- Exclusive: Activists on social media outlets called for massive protests today, on the eve of the sentence hearing of spiritual leader for Shiite majority, Sheikh Isa Qassim.
A preliminary sentence is expected to be issued against Sheikh Qassim tomorrow (Sunday, May 7, 2017) over the charge of performing Khums (alms) Shiite ritual, which was considered by the authorities a crime of "raising money without a license".
Since June 2016, the Bahraini authorities have launched the harshest campaign against Shiite majority and opposition in the country since 2011 and revoked the citizenship of Sheikh Isa Qassim without a trial. This act prompted condemnations of Bahrain's key allies, US and UK.
Thousands of Bahrainis have been protesting outside the house of Sheikh Qassim in Diraz since June 20, 2016, when the authorities revoked his citizenship, which made the authorities impose strict siege on the village resided by over 20 thousands citizens.
- 2023-03-29Saudi Ambassador Hosts his Iranian Counterpart to Iftar Banquet
- 2023-03-29Saudi Crown Prince, Chinese President Stress "Importance of Strategic Relations with Iran"
- 2023-03-29Bahraini Delegation to Visit Iran as Part of Diplomatic Efforts to Strengthen Relations
- 2023-03-28HR Organizations Call for Activating "Magnitsky Act" to Hold Perpetrators of Violations Accountable
- 2023-03-28Sayed Al-Ghuraifi Calls for Purifying Climate, Initiating Serious Dialogues
comments powered by Disqus