Geneva: CAT Criticizes Punishment of Activists & Journalists, Bahrain Denies Accusations
2017-04-25 - 10:44 p
Bahrain Mirror: Bahrain's Deputy Foreign Minister Abdullah Al-Dossari denied exposing any rights activists or journalists to harassment or deterioration of the health status of some of them in prison.
Member of the Committee against Torture (CAT), Felice Gaer wondered regarding the status of human rights activist Nabeel Rajab, and whether he was tried for his peaceful activism and cooperation with the UN mechanisms.
On her part CAT member Ms. Ana Racu confirmed that she received reports showing that human rights activists and journalists are exposed to assaults and are tried over their activism and for participating in the 2011 Bahrain events. She noted that among the activists are Abdulhadi al-Khawaja, Nabeel Rajab, Nazeeha Saeed, Naji Fateel, Ahmad Al-Aarab, and Abdul Jalil Al-Singace.
Racu demanded on behalf of CAT that Bahrain provides it results of investigations in the aforementioned cases. "We would be glad to know the steps adopted by the Bahraini government to protect rights activists and journalists from harassments," Racu said.
On this level, Al-Dossari responded saying, "Activists and journalists were presented by law to general and fair courts, and they were provided with all legal guarantees. They are not human rights defenders who are banned from travel, but they are serving their time in prison."
"As for Nabeel Rajab, who he facing a criminal case by virtue of law, and neither does he or any other one face cases linked to freedom of peaceful expression," he went on to say.
Moreover, Al-Dossari denied the deterioration of the health status for detained Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja and Nabeel Rajab. "A sample of the medical examinations for Rajab was sent to Germany at the expense of the state," he added.
- 2023-06-06British MP Charged with Racially Aggravated Public Order Offence
- 2023-06-05Sheikh Al-Daihi: No One can Silence Bahraini People's Voice with Imprisonment, Torture and Killing
- 2023-06-05Friday Sermons at Imam Al-Sadiq Mosque Contains "Legal Violations", Justice Ministry Claims
- 2023-06-05Saudi Arabia Executes 3 Youths from Qatif over Fabricated Charges
- 2023-06-04MoI Threatens Al-Markh and Karimi Obsequies of Using Force if They Hold Events Commemorating Imam Khomeini
comments powered by Disqus