On his Retrial Eve, Amnesty Calls for Sheikh Ali Salman's Immediate Release
2016-11-05 - 9:08 p
Bahrain Mirror- Exclusive: Amnesty International called on the Bahraini authorities to release the opposition leader and Secretary-General of Al-Wefaq National Islamic Society Sheikh Ali Salman, urging them to quash his conviction.
In a statement issued on Friday (November 4, 2016) on the eve of Sheikh Salman's retrial before the appeals court, Amnesty said "the Cassation Court rejected the Appeal Court's decision to extend the opposition leader Sheikh Ali Salman's prison sentence from four to nine years and ordered his retrial before the Appeal Court. His retrial is set to start on 6 November."
The organization further stated that Sheikh Ali Salman is a prisoner of conscience held solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of expression. His lawyers complained to the court that the excerpts of Sheikh Salman's speeches presented in court were taken out of context, however, the court refused to present the complete version.
At the end of its statement, Amnesty called on to send appeals to the King of Bahrain, Minister of Interior and Minister of Justice and Islamic Affairs to immediately release Sheikh Ali Salman and quash his conviction.
- 2023-03-29British MPs Launch Motion to Release Detained Figures in Bahrain on their 12th Anniversary of their Imprisonment
- 2023-03-29Bahrain Summons Iraqi Charge d'affaires over Breaching Diplomatic Norms
- 2023-03-29Saudi Ambassador Hosts his Iranian Counterpart to Iftar Banquet
- 2023-03-29Saudi Crown Prince, Chinese President Stress "Importance of Strategic Relations with Iran"
- 2023-03-29Bahraini Delegation to Visit Iran as Part of Diplomatic Efforts to Strengthen Relations
comments powered by Disqus