Ľ News

US State Department Says itís Following Nabeel Rajabís Case Closely, Might Attend Trial

š»ŪŠ —Ő»
š»ŪŠ —Ő»

2016-10-02 - 12:01 am

Bahrain Mirror: The US Department of State said that it is following the trial of prominent Bahraini rights activists Nabeel Rajab "closely". It noted that the State Department might "be in attendance" during the next trial hearing of Rajab, supposedly taking place next week.

During the Daily Press Briefing held at the US Department of State on Friday (September 30, 2016), Deputy Spokesperson Mark Toner said: "You know our concerns. We've been quite vocal about this individual and his case."

Toner added that his country expects Rajab to be released, however he noted, "But we certainly at the very least want to see a transparent trial for him."

It is noteworthy that the Bahraini authorities scheduled Rajab's trial to take place on October 6, 2016. He is expected to be tried over tweets he posted last year, in which he criticized the war on Yemen, and the torture faced by prisoners in the infamous Jaw prison in Bahrain.

Arabic version


Comments

comments powered by Disqus