UN Rapporteur Very Concerned by Bahraini Authorities’ Summoning of Sheikh Maytham al-Salman
2016-08-14 - 12:13 am
Bahrain Mirror: The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and of association, Maina Kiai, expressed deep concern about the Bahraini security authorities' summoning of Head of Religious Freedom unit at the Bahrain Human Rights Observatory, Sheikh Maytham al-Salman.
"I am very concerned by reports that talk about the Bahraini authorities summoning Maitham Salman for interrogation on August 14, 2016, and I am observing this matter closely," he said in a tweet on his official Twitter account.
Sheikh Salman said that he had received a call from the security authorities asking him to be present for interrogation tomorrow Sunday (August 14, 2016) without informing him of the reason behind his summoning.
In the past month, the authorities have summoned nearly 50 Shiite clerics, and arrested many of them. This came after the regime announced revoking the nationality of the Shiite majority's spiritual leader, Ayatollah Sheikh Isa Qassim on June 20.
The Shiites in Bahrain complain about discrimination practiced against them in employment, education and health, and say that they are deprived of working in the military and security sector.
Shiite citizens in the island kingdom demand putting an end to the ruling Al Khalifa family's monopoly over power, who only represent the Sunni minority, and yet rule the country.
Very concerned about reports that @MaythamAlsalman has been summoned for Aug. 14 interrogation by authorities in Bahrain. Watching closely.— Maina Kiai (@MainaKiai_UNSR) August 12, 2016
- 2023-05-27Sheikh Ali Rahma: Scholars Don't Intend to Harass Anyone When Performing their Legitimate Duty
- 2023-05-27Palestinian Prisoners Information Office Pays Tribute to Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour
- 2023-05-27900 Unemployed Bahraini Engineers, Gov't Still Refuses Bahrainization of Jobs
- 2023-05-27Diraz: Mass Protest after Friday Prayer Condemning Sheikh Sanqour's Arrest, Normalization with Zionists
- 2023-05-25Four Detained Scholars Including Al-Wefaq Secretary-General: Sheikh Mohammad Sanqour's Arrest Aims at Silencing Voice of Truth
comments powered by Disqus